Friday, January 18, 2008

That little action is what the world needs more - A Tribute to my cousin, Zi On

I was at OCF Convention Camp 2007 when I heard the news from my parents. The line was bad due to the fact that I was in the outback. But the words that rang through my ears were loud and clear.

"Zi On… your cousin, is lost at sea.... They haven't found him yet ….presuming the worst."
The words echoed through my head.

In camp, the BS group that I was in, prayed for him, and those from WA, during discussions and prayer sessions, linked hands and prayed for him and the family.

That night at camp, as I lay my head down on my pillow, I could not help but wonder - how could an Almighty God whom so many look to as their Saviour allow such a person to be taken in such a manner especially when he saved another person through his actions? I guess during such times, many would have asked the same question.

Humanly speaking, I've no idea why. No reason or logic would be able to explain it. Theologically, one can only say, God knows what is best and we have to trust Him. To tie a knot between the spiritual realm and the physical realm is almost impossible. Even now as I type this, I'm sure that many of my family members are still grieving and even we who are Christians and have that hope in Christ, still find ourselves struggling with this reality. Until the second coming of Christ, I guess we will forever be tied to this physical realm and never be able to experience the fullness of this understanding. I do not wish to debate on theology or humanity but just to share some of my thoughts about Zi On.

During my quiet time in the past few nights, I’ve been thinking very hard about this whole issue. And here are a few words I have penned out. This is not a poem….just my thoughts.

Many will see us differently
Many will describe us differently.

Yet in many ways, we are similar
The quietness with certain friends
Or even the sanguine jokes we tell others.

We share a common love you and I
For music and football
Although I’m an MU fan
And you a Tottenham Hotspur guy

I've seen you,
For who you are.
The few words exchanged
The simple actions you did
Adequately identified you.

The pool at Unitata was where it began
Where my dad played the “bad monster”
Splashing
and chasing us around.

We were scatteringI was the last one out
But I slipped and fell back in.
You looked back
You ran back and pulled me up
Saving me from the approaching “monster”.

But what you showed me that day
That simple action
Which few would even consider an option
You stood out from the rest.

You showed me
To make that difference…
just to turn back in a simple way
to give that hand and risk that “life”

That childhood pool day was enough to show
That you just stood out And I’m not surprised
That you did it again.
To risk your life to save another.

And as much as it was child’s play
I saw that you were different.
The power of one’s action
May it be big or small
Or light as a butterfly’s touch
Has a lasting effect.

And though I can no longer see you anymore
I’m sure those that you have left behind
Were very grateful that they have crossed paths with you.
That effect
That smile
That little action
Is what the world needs more.


It’s a privilege to have known you
To have tasted your goodness
To have shared some special moments with you
I’m proud to have you as my cousin.

So to Zi On, may your soul rest in peace.

With love from your cousin,
Lemuel
16 Jan. 2008


Unitata’s swimming pool in Teluk Intan - April 1988
(From left : Lemuel, Zi On & Zi Lu)

No comments: