Tuesday, January 1, 2008

From Emily Flahive.

Zion and I had a Korean class together at ANU. We were both beginners, filling in units to complete our degrees. Zion was always happy and very friendly. We had lots of group activities in our class, and one day I asked Zion where he came from (in bad Korean!) We then got talking about Malaysia, and he was interested in the fact that my parents were in Malaysia working at Bethany Home. At the end of the university semester I went to visit my parents in Malaysia. Whilst there, some friends of theirs (the Kerks) invited us to visit their palm plantation. After the tour Mr Kerk offered us some cold drinks and we got talking about his family and he mentioned he had a son at ANU. I was very surprised to find that his son was Zion who I had been studying with!! I didn’t see Zion again until the end of the year after we had both graduated. I met up briefly with Zion and his parents as my family wished to congratulate Zion on his graduation and I dropped off a bottle of champagne at the hotel where they were staying.
My encounters with Zion were brief, but memorable. It was a shock to hear the tragic news about him, and my heart goes out to his family and friends.
- Emily Flahive.

No comments: