Thursday, December 20, 2007

From Eliza Liu (Singapore/Canberra)

Hi, I'm Eliza and I got to know Zi On in my days of being at Ursula College/Hall.
My first impression of him was that he's chatty, sociable and makes friends easily. It was a pity that I did not get to know him better in my first 3 years there.

Strangely enough, on one fateful night, after Valete dinner 2004(the last semi-formal dinner of the year and for both of us since we were leaving), we managed to chat a lot. I don't think we were even sitting at the same table at first, but anyway, we chatted with each other in the dining room until we were chased out of there―dinner was over and they had to lock up. So we had to find another place to chat…in the first floor corridor of Block C. It was funny, we had to stop chatting periodically to let people walk past.
We shared a lot at that time, mainly on relationships and I was also blessed to be able to share with Zi On, my personal testimony of how God worked in my life. It's amazing how that happened within one night, being able to encourage each other, getting to know each other better. I was able to find a great friend in him, good listener, and humourous too.

I was to go to Japan in 2005, so we wouldn't be able to see each other for about one year or so..but as fate would have it..due to unforeseen circumstances, I was back in Canberra for one more semester the next year. We spent some good times catching up and talking about our plans for the future. I've always respected him for pursuing what he wanted and was interested in.

On my last night in Canberra before returning to Singapore, we met again. I remember he had taken a bag of things from my apartment, hence helping me to clear my stuff. In that bag were some stuff like detergent, soy sauce and other groceries. I had put the detergent in a ziploc-like transparent bag..and he was looking at it as though it was a pack of drugs*lol*.. We had a good laugh even over simple household items. He was also joking about having discovered this "Asian grocery store" with free groceries. What a funny guy he was.

Looking back on days at Ursula, there was once this Random Acts of Kindness week―we would have to be nice/kind to our assigned person for a week. Zi On was the person assigned to me, and I thought, "Wow, that's great. A fellow international student whom I also know!" One of the things I did, was to put up a piece of paper on his room door saying "You Rock!!"And yes..Zi On does rock!!I knew he appreciated that statement a lot because he said so himself. That's another great thing about Zi On..He's always frank with how he feels.
I also remember when he performed some dance act with some other students at Ursula during Talent Night. That was impressive! Dancing is just another of his many talents!

I will miss Zi On dearly, but am comforted because I know he is safe in the arms of the Lord. I'll always remember those times spent together, chatting, laughing, and will hold those memories close.
Dear Zi On, we'll always be brother and sister in Christ, once again, thank you for those wonderful times.
You Rock!!!

No comments: