Monday, August 4, 2008

Today Is Your Birthday Mama Will Not Cry

My dear Son, Zi On,

Mama says today is your birthday, she will not cry,
I am not sure I can even if I try.
I keep myself busy whole morning with earthly chore,
living as if everything is normal as before.
Numbing the senses just to ease the wound deep in the core,
Fond memory of you takes no second for the pain to soar.

Mama says today I have to write something for you.
Twenty six years ago our baby Zi On arrived with the midnight dew,
Simmering joyful excitement and knitting hope in our soul.
What name shall we give our son?
“Out of Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth.”
Psalms 50:2 is our dream your life will one day surge for.

Oh, Moreton, Moreton, a perfect spot wrinkles into soul chilling grill,
Sweet surfing sea suddenly ruptures into life searching field.
“Joseph’s blood-stained robe brought home to Jacob” * 1
Was the Brisbane Police’s breaking news for the soul to choke.
Fanning worldwide prayer support to seek God’s alternate plan,
Ah, like Jacob, it would be better for dad to Sheol if it can.

No one can serve two Masters, you have chosen the best,
Seeking the Lord’s molding hands shaping your life to fit His chest.
“Make me a man of courage and substance,
Make me a man of drive and persistence,
Make me a man of compassion and empathy,
Make me a man of true friendship and dependability
. a*

“Greater love has no one than this that a man lay down his life for his friends”,
“You are my friends if you do what I command”, for the heart of God is love and not frail.
The surging sea and crushing waves witness two strangers in distress,
I will do what I can to relieve the pain of the mothers of the drowning guests.
“Why am I fearful, O me of little faith? Jesus as I’m with You, be with me now.”a*
“For unto Thee I surrender my life”, show me the beauty of your wonderful how!

The bravery in the blood swells,
When the drowning girls yell.
Sure and Steadfast the motto built to last,
The courage of Brigade Sergeant did not lose its cast.
Dashing forward against the mounting waves,
Pushing the distressed to safety before succumbing to the potent sway.

Were You there, when the sea turned ugly?
Were You there, when our son in dire need?
Can a mother forget the baby at her breast ? *2
Ah, wantonly we had deserted you when you cried for aids!
Pain and grief overwhelmed our sky dark,
Valley of sorrow our heavenly Father trailing with us.

O my God, why is Psalm 22:1-6 instead of Psalm 23:1-6 my soul dwell,
The Lord sits enthroned over the flood that swell, *3
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither my ways your ways
As heavens are higher, so are my ways and thoughts higher.*4
How preciously guarded is the name of the Lord’s Holy hill,
“Out of Zion, perfect in beauty, God shines forth” shall remain still.

O dear Zi On, proud you hang on to faith in God,
Absolutely make us feel little when you walk our talk.
Beauty of your spirit shall continue to radiate the eternal light,
Brighten up the path for all who tread on the dark side.
Assured you will sit with the martyrs when we see you on The Day,
Today is your birthday, she will not cry, Mama says.


With love and endless memories
Papa
14-Jan-2008


Note:
*1 - Genesis 37: 5-35
*2 - Isaiah 49:15
*3 - Psalm 29:10
*4 - Isaiah 55:8-9
a* - Extracts from Zi On’s diary

No comments: